Thursday, September 24, 2009

Old problem that is new to me

Ok, I've gotten Leo to move some with his motors. Still working on the sensors and such. While working on the motors, one of the things that came to mind was the fact that any time his batteries are going dead, they have to be manually changed out. So if he's getting sluggish, then he has to be ripped open, partially gutted, sometime in the next few hours or even left that way for a day or three, then have freshly charged batteries shoved back in him, put back together and expected to perform just like he did before. Sounds violent and violating, I know so there is a much cleaner solution out there. There are seven batteries that have to be charged or changed out when he's go 'dead'. Yes this a problem for later, sense he can't even sense his environment yet, let alone navigate it. Suggestions are welcome.

I don't want Leo to be something I toy around with till I'm bored and then put on a shelf for who knows how long. Neither do I want him to be an electronic pet or pest. Like I said before, it's a problem for later. I believe that reaching any level of autonomy for a bot is a huge step. The roombas do their tasks, then return 'home', recharge and do their appointed task when their programming says to do so, so why shouldn't other bots do the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment